CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, March 10, 2008

Books

I've never really been big into history beyond the basic high school/college requirements (my husband is the history 'buff') and a good historical romance. Lately though, I've read a couple of books that have inspired me to look a few things up... I read "The Red Tent" by Anita Diamont a while ago and then had to look up the reference in my Bible (Genesis 34). It's the story of Jacob's daughter Dinah told from her perspective. Very interesting and kind of brought alive the history of the time and what women were going through and how they lived. Another book I've had for a few years and finally decided to read since it's now a movie is "The Other Boleyn Girl" by Phillipa Gregory. OK this is why I don't read as often as I like; I'm a little OC about reading and once I start it's hard for me to stop! I started it at 8pm when the kids got in bed (big mistake) and didn't put it down until I finished it at 4am. A little groggy that day but the story was great and then I had to look up all the historical figures in it. I'll let you know how the movie is when I get to it! The other books are actually a series by Jack Whyte (the first was The Skystone) about Camulod and Arthur and Merlin and a very rich historical perspective on the whole period in Britain after Rome left. So, I guess for me the history is much more interesting when it's wrapped in fiction first! If you've read any good books with a historical perspective, let me know...

0 comments: