CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, October 13, 2008

Sunday Drive



We've had great weather for the last week or so and we're enjoying being outside and having a fire in the front yard in the evenings. We had a georgous day yesterday for a Sunday drive into the Adirondack mountains. We didn't go far, just enough to see the beautiful fall colors and then stopped in Harrisville for lunch and then a little walk in the scenic park where the river flows into the lake. That's when the 'mom alone with four children adventure's' really began... We happened to have a jump rope in the car, which I tied to one of LB's belt loops, just so I would have a little more to hang on to on our walk, especially with water around. BB and BG were in charge of LG and did a great job just running around the beautiful woods and climbing rocks and picking up sticks. We met a sweet older couple having a picnic and they asked me to take their picture, but other than that there wasn't anybody else around. So of course, when we get close to the water that is where LB wants to go. I managed to get him to look at a few other things and then turned my back on him for two seconds to snap a picture of LG and I hear a big SPLASH! Dropped the camera, ran over to where LB is flailing in about 2 feet of water, jumped in and fished him out, set him on his feet, patted his back and he was fine! He didn't swallow any water, didn't even cry, wanted a brief hug and then wanted to go back and throw more sticks in the water! Does nothing phase the boy?! I was pretty calm throughout, but didn't sleep very well last night with pictures of his big eyes in the water. I've become a more firm believer in the power of prayer and guardian angels the last few months because I am definetely not equipped to handle this without some Divine Intervention. So, keep the prayers coming and I'll try to mitigate the risks... I wish I could say I can just stay in the house, but I think I would be crazy in less than a week! Homebody I am not. Maybe this is a wake-up for me that I do have limitations and I can't do whatever I want to with four kids in tow. And also a reminder that it's OK to be bored once in a while. I try to teach my kids that they don't need to have an activity all the time, but then don't apply it to myself! If I'm bored with being in the house or procrastinating about housework, I'm very quick to find something to do away from home and that's when I get into 'trouble' with time, money, and unplanned adventures...

5 comments:

Major Mom said...

Oh.My.Gosh. That little R is going to keep you going for a long time to come. Thank the Lord for His angels.

Rachel said...

I'm a firm believer in angels, and we experienced them last spring, 3 in a week. Luke got washed away from me in the ocean, pulled a huge dresser on himself at home, and then was close to getting run over in the Walmart parking lot. So, staying home didn't help, nor did getting out for 'fun', nor running routine errands. It really increased my faith though, to see how God carried us through.

Misty Alejo said...

Megan-- I just wanted to say what a great mom I think you are and don't let that incident curb your fabulous adventures that I love to read about. Your children will thank you one day for all that you do for them! There are days when I don't even feel like getting out of the house with one kid, much less four. So I seriously admire your strength and all that you do for your children! You are an inspiration to me-- truly, I mean that. I hope John knows how lucky he is to have you!

Molly said...

I love the pictures of all the fall leaves! I miss the fall...there is something wrong about having to wear shorts and tank tops (and sweating) in October. Give me a sweater and some jeans and the beautiful changing trees. Thanks for sharing the pictures!

Melissa said...

You found the park in Harrisville. Its beautiful isn't it! Wish I could have seen the fall colors though. Great pics.