CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, May 9, 2008

Overheard in the woman's locker room

I was getting dressed at the gym this morning (yes, I started going as soon as John left, I'll leave that for another story), and overheard a couple of girls talking. They were discussing finances and qualifying for housing loans, etc and one girl said her credit score would be better if she paid her student loan down. The other girl asked her if she considered enlisting for the extra money and then said, "you could pay off your bills and then get pregnant and get out." I guess it's true that you never hear anything good when you eavesdrop (even by accident), but it made me sad to hear the sacrifice my husband is making and so many others (including myself at one point) cheapened like that. There are plenty of other, much easier, jobs you can take to pay off bills (I've done that too), that don't require you to take an oath you really don't mean with every intention of not fulfilling it. I understand circumstances come up and people cannot always fulfill their obligation. The main reason I left the Army was because I felt I couldn't put forth the effort it required to be a good officer and a good mom at the same time and that one of us should be able to put our family first. I know there are families that make it work and they have my utmost respect. Don't get me wrong I fully appreciate all the benefits we receive, but to hear what soldiers do put in such mercenary terms turned my stomach. I guess at heart I still believe in the goodness of people, despite all the evidence otherwise, and then get outraged when I hear or see something like that. Probably why I don't watch the news much...

1 comments:

Molly said...

That makes me so mad too, Megan. Having served and done my time and knowing what others are sacrificing because they truely LOVE what they are doing...pisses me off that someone can cheapen it. I, too, know of many who have gotten pregnant just to get out. Irks me to no end!