CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, December 5, 2008

Conversation with BB

After school the other day BB approached me with this (condensed) discussion:

BB: Mommy, don't be mad, but I have a girlfriend at school, her name is Destiny.
M: Oh, really. How do you know she is your girlfriend?
BB: I heard some other boys talking and they said she liked me and because I love her.
M: Does she know she's your girlfriend?
BB: Yes, but she likes another boy sometimes too.
M: So what to you do with Destiny?
BB: We talk and play.
M: Well, daddy and I don't want you to have a girlfriend until you're ready to get married, then you can worry about having a girlfriend.
BB: So I have to wait until I'm in fifth grade???
M: Yeah, we'll discuss it again then...

I'm so not ready for my 7 year old to be worrying about girls! After our conversation, it was apparant that it's all very innocent, normal, little boy, little girl, second grader behavior, but the worry is there that I don't know how aware he is of 'grown up' relationships and I don't want him growing up too fast. We also talked about saving our hearts for the person God wants us to marry when we're older and his answer was "But we can love everyone!" I was so proud of that answer because he is a loving, compassionate boy and it's apparant that he's not aware of 'romantic' love with one person yet or that his heart can be broken. I did warn him that 2nd grade girls are known to change their minds at the drop of a hat though... And my hope is that he does continue to talk to me about all this stuff.

3 comments:

Major Mom said...

Oh man...they are too little.

The Galingers on the Go (European Vacation) said...

What a precious boy you are raising.

Kellee said...

Just wait till 5th, 6th, and 7th....it progresses much faster than you ever imagined it would.