CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Adventures in health care

So, you're probably tired of hearing about snow already... So I'll just say this and then change the subject: Snow is a many splendored thing and I'm learning of all its subtle and not so subtle nuances. We've had huge fluffy flakes and ice 'pellets' and lake effect snow, which I still don't have figured out, and my favorite, Winter mix which is a mixture of everything cold and wet and ice-y you can think of falling from the sky! And the main way to feel the difference is on the end of a snow shovel! There, that's my piece on snow for a while!

So, the kids have all had their checkups with the new doctor. They don't have enough doctors at the clinic on-post so we are seeing a 'civilian' doctor. But after the fiasco of LG and LB's first visit, I wasn't sure if I wanted to go back! They both came out of the doctors office with bruises... It started with me deciding not to bring the stroller in (we've got a side-by-side now as we left our old duo-glider behind when we moved) since the parking was right outside the door and it was just a waiting room and a doctors office, right? So, in the little play area, they have some little kid size chairs and as LB is climbing on one he overbalanced and landed on his forehead on the hard tile floor. Of course, I'm trying to fill out the paperwork with two toddlers running loose and now trying to hold a ice pack on his head at the same time. Maybe that's why we didn't wait long! Anyway, they saw the doctor who seemed competent enough, but not exactly warm and fuzzy, and they're fine and healthy and both in about the 25th% for height and weight and doing everything they're supposed to. Both screamed during shots, which always upsets me and LB got even more upset when the med-student assisting held him as I was holding LG. He's a bit wary of strangers to begin with. So we're done with all that and I'm making appointments for the other kids on the way out and LG and LB are running up and down the waiting room when LB runs into LGband pushes her headfirst onto the floor. She hits both lips and starts bleeding down her front. At that point, I just got out of there as quickly as I could with two screaming babies, strapped them in the car and drove straight home! It wasn't until later I noticed LG chipped a front tooth and LB's forehead had a nice sized bruise which healed just in time to go back for BB and BG... I learned my lesson well and brought the stroller in! And BB is finally learning his lesson about wearing underwear as he was quite embarrassed that he didn't have any on during his examination! He and LF are both healthy as well. BB's a big boy on the top of the growth chart and BG is still right at 50%. We'll be going to an orthopedic surgeon soon for BB's 'bone spurs.' He has one on his right forearm that is taking away bone from the growth plate and causing his arm to grow irregularly. Genes: can't live without 'em!

0 comments: